Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cranes


Whenever I feel a spell of homesickness approaching, I look out to find the cranes and pretend I am somewhere in West Seattle looking over at the shipping yards. It takes a little bit of focus to block out the very volcanic looking peek, but to make things easier we now have a Lego model of the Space Needle given to us as a wedding gift. If I hold it up to the left as I close one eye  it really authenticates my imaginary vision of the Seattle skyline. However, the cranes are still my favorite because they remind me of being little and riding home on the Bainbridge ferry from the Beach. I would see them all on the water and think ‘Wow, that’s a lot of cranes! Whatever they’re building, it’s going to be good!’. I’m not sure at what point the slow construction on the pier led me to suspect that the cranes were actually there for unloading shipping vessels, but I imagine it was somewhat of a disappointing realization for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment