Wednesday, July 10, 2013

We are famous!





Mom and I were featured in a Japanese newspaper centerfold in a color (very exciting) postage stamp size (less exciting) picture with a caption that says "The Kato Kirby and Lisa Kelley family visit Emukae for the Mayudama Festival".

As you can imagine I do not read many Japanese newspapers, so when I received an email from Megumi, a woman I have English conversation lessons with explaining that she had spotted my mother and me while enjoying a breakfast parfait, I was completely surprised (and also shamelessly gushing with excitement!)


The issue was from April but finally I have a copy. Now we know the kind man who originally we thought wanted to give us a parking ticket but turned out to want our names and our picture next to our illegally parked car was from the paper. It seems he was left no other photography subjects on this particular day since the town when we passed through seemed almost completely empty of visitors. From the caption we now know there was a festival.  We can assume that the the festival was rather slow this year, or that we and the newspaper man were too early or too late. 


Mom and I have not received the amount of media attention one would expect after such a highlighted newspaper presence but this is probably for the best, we are humble people after all ;)


1 comment: